020070213

Old Time Radio Shows with Zirnevis

Jil and I recently canceled our Netflix subscription and opened an account with the local video store. We rented a 1989 documentary on the New York World's Fair of 1939 and 1940. It was called, "The World of Tomorrow," and was very good. I only now discovered that it was written by John Crowley, author of one of my favorite books, The Translator. My wikisearchs brought me to the interesting life of LaGuardia and this site:
http://www.freeotrshows.com/
A immense resource for old time radio shows. More than I could imagine.

And wikirandom taught me:

Zirnevis (زیرنویس), is the Farsi translation for "sub-title". It is a combination of zir meaning bottom, and nevis meaning writer (thus a literal translation back to English would be "bottom-writer").
Common practice in Iran for the officially dubbed movies by governmental TV stations is to change plots in translation to follow so-called Islamic instruction. For instance, a man and woman in a premarital sexual relationship would be described in the translated subtitles as being married. This has been a disappointment for many Iranians who feel they are missing important story content and that this takes away from the originality of the movie. As a result many underground groups are now releasing their translation with neutral-point-of-view and without any censorship.

No comments: