020070410

Chess Matches

Is President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as bad as Adolf Hitler? Only one way to know, check his hands. Still, anyone who's got a chess board for a couple of stranded soldiers can't be all bad.

AND at home, Bill Richardson's position on Iraq is as good as the best of them.

I would have a war powers resolution deauthorizing the war, with timetables and benchmarks. I would withdraw this calendar year. The consensus seems to have been built around March of 2008, but I'd get out this year. But the Congress authorized the war and the Congress should deauthorize the war. Then, there will be a legal fight - the administration will say "well, we don't recognize the war powers act." Then you go to the Supreme Court. That's what I would do, because my sense is that every effort should be made to cut the funding, but I worry about whether we have the votes to do it. What this veto will do is President Bush will have made the war by far the number one issue in the 2008 campaign, because this veto means gridlock, deadlock. So I would proceed with a deauthorization resolution.

No comments: